Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A boy and his pet

Since the beginning of time, young boys have desired pets. However, once in awhile, the pet desired can be a bit out of our realm of understanding as far as an average pet.

I was not your 'average' boy growing up. Just ask my dad. He'll be sure to roll his eyes and say, "You've got that right!" I had a desired pet - a dachshund named Schätzchig (German for "Sweetheart"). Far from an average pet. Most of my friends had normal dog breeds - terrirer, Labrador, German Shepherd, Poodle - with normal names like Rover, Spot, Duke and Fifi. Not me. I had a wiener dog with a funny German name.

So when our Chocolate Lab, Cocoa, died this past summer, my kids were heartbroken. But, as kids are, they soon began to ask my ex and I if we could get another dog. The ex was not too keen on that idea.

My oldest twin boy Jason missed Cocoa the most. However, Jason has a unique taste in pets. Plus he has a "Dr. Doolittle" aire about him. He would capture fireflies, butterflies and frogs and was good at keeping them. He once caught a bird with his bare hands at age 4. As of late he has had some unique pets - crickets, hermit crabs and recently a box turtle.

So when Christmas came around, Jason asked for a pet. Not a dog, cat, hermit crab, turtle... or even a bird. He wanted a Leopard Gecko.

Jason first decided he wanted a Leopard Gecko this past summer not long after Cocoa died. I was doing a remote at the Oldtown Blues Festival for Classic Hits 92-X when an employee from the local pet store came down with a Monitor lizard. Jason was immediatly transfixed by the big lizard and began to ask the employee a ton of questions about the Monitor. The lizard guy told Jason that a good starter lizard to get would be a Gecko. Jason decided on a Leopard Gecko because "they look cool!"

So for this past Christmas, Jason got all the things he needed to keep a Gecko - terrerium tank, sand, heat lamps, dishes, calcium and all the equipment needed. Now all I have to get is the Gecko. I plan on doing this soon. Of course, the pet store where the Monitor Lizard guy works is the place Jason wants to get the Gecko, so that's where we will be purchasing it. After Christmas they ran out. A new shipment just recently came in, and now we are waiting for the 'observation period' to expire before the members of this new shipment of Geckos are available for purchase (one of the things I like about this pet store!).

And then, we can start a new chapter in pet history...a boy and his Leopard Gecko. Hopefully he won't name the thing Schätzchig.

No comments:

Post a Comment