Friday, April 10, 2009

"Hannah Montana" takes #1 this past weekend....oops...

OK. This weekend's movie report is a weak one. It is the Good Friday into Easter weekend, and I have my kids most of this weekend (Mom has them on Easter Sunday this year). Most everybody else's kids had Spring Break this past week. What do you think the majority of the masses are going to see this weekend? I may be just a single dad, but I'm not dumb!

I predict Miley Cyrus' big screen vehicle "Hannah Montana: The Movie" will bring in $30 to $35 million this weekend for the Giant Mouse, "Fast & Furious" will be close behind and bring in just around $30 million, and "Observe And Report" will duke it out with "Monsters Vs. Aliens" for #3 and #4 both garnering around $20 million (though I think "Monsters" will edge out "Observe" for the #3 slot). I am so confident of this I will put money on it...and win. It's a no-brainer. $100 million for the top four movies in a given weekend isn't all that bad. Of course, by the end of the weekend "Fast & Furious" will have made $100 million all on its own in a 10 day run...also not too shabby.

In case you were wondering, I do go to the movies quite a bit...a perk I am blessed to have. And when I have the kids, I take them. Our last outing together was two weekends ago when we went to see "Monsters Vs. Aliens". I've become very knowledgeable of all the aspects of CGI film creation because of the kids (Who says you can't learn things from them, eh?). Some women find this odd and scary, others think it's neat I take my kids to the movies a lot. Six of one, half dozen of another. However, this weekend I feel like an outsider looking in.

My 7-year-old daughter is a big fan of the Disney Chanel. Zack & Cody, Phinius & Pherb, but mostly the Hannah Montana. However, when I asked her if she wanted me to take her to go to see the new Hannah Montana movie, she said no. Now, my 11-year-old twin boys have experssed they DO want me to take them to see the Miley Cyrus. But normally they're into Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon...especially anything Square Bob Spongepants. And now they want to go to the Hannah Montana. Hmmmm...must be that pre-pubecence boy thing kicking up a notch...

After a little digging, it has been determined that the daughter DOES want to see Hannah Montana...but not with me. Her mom asked if she wanted to go with her, and she said yes. "What about your daddy, don't you want HIM to take you to the movies like he always does?" "No." In a way I am crushed that she doesn't want to go to the Hannah Montana with me, yet relieved that she doesn't want me to be the one to go with her to the movie. Does that make sense?

The daughter is a big fan of the American Girl doll and book series. And when "Kit Kittridge" came out last year, she went with mom instead of me, although in all fairness I did take her as well. She liked the movie so much that she wanted me to take her to see it a second time. Go figure?

So, I will end my consecutive streak of seeing the #1 movie this weekend. I've held the streak since January of 2008 with "The Bucket List" (ah...memories...). Since I love my daughter and want her to grow up as normally as I possibly can, I will forego putting her through any trauma and angst by her dad taking her to the Hannah Montana. She need this Mom/Daughter movie experience, and I need to break my streak. I'll go check out Seth Rogan in "Observe And Report" instead.

It's the SpongeBob Squarepants-ish, single dad, guy thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment